Have you had any cosmetic surgery? What are your views on those that do? I must admit, I am very much of the opinion that if someone doesn’t need altering under the knife for medical reasons, they should learn to live with what they think their imperfections are. Probably the classic is breast implants for woman; I am yet to meet a female who doesn’t think they have something they want to change about their bust.
The Top 10 Cosmetic Procedures (and their costs)
Ever wondered what the top 20 cosmetic procedures are? Well wonder no more…
- Liposuction – An increasingly popular alternative to dieting and exercising. This procedure essentially is like using a vacuum cleaner under the skin to remove fat. Average Cost – $2500
- Rhinoplasty – Also known as ‘The Nose Job’, rhinoplasty involves reshaping the nose to make it bigger/smaller, fatter/thinner etc. Average cost – $3500
- Breast Enlargements / Reductions – This one needs no explaining. Saline or Silicone filled implants are typically used for enlargements, while excess materials is removed for a reduction. Surprisingly, this procedure is only at number 3! Average cost – $3500
- Blepharoplasty – perhaps more commonly known as ‘eyelid surgery‘, this procedure involves removing the drooping wrinkled skin (bags) under eyes and eyelids. Average Cost – $2500
- Tummy Tuck – Slightly different to liposuction, the tummy tuck focuses on giving the patient a flat stomach. This involves removing excess fat and pinning skin to tighten the abdomen. Average Cost – $4500
- Face Lift – Probably one of the first procedures that comes to mind when we think of cosmetic surgery, the face lift involves removing excess fat and tightening the muscles of the face. Average Cost – $4500
- Breast Lift – Slightly different to enlargement / reduction surgery, the lift is like a face lift for breasts. Average Cost – $3500
- Dermabrasion – This procedure involves removing wrinkles from the face. The surgeon uses a high-speed rotating file (like a sander) to rub out the top layers of skin. Average Cost – $900
- Forehead Lift – This procedure removes lines and droops in the forehead by tightening the skin. Average Cost – $2500
- Hair Transplant – This multiple-visit procedure involves tightening the skin on the scalp (i.e. reducing the surface area of skin) or stitching hair implants into the scalp (or a combination of them both). This one is expensive: Average Cost – $4800
When Surgery Goes Wrong
With the millions of patients worldwide who undergo cosmetic surgery every year (spending $Billions on the way), there is undoubtedly going to be lots of procedures that go wrong. Here are a selection of shockers:
Hang Mioku – A Self-Confessed surgery addict, Hang became so addicted to plastic surgery that surgeons refused to perform any more procedures on her (they thought this was a psychological disorder). This led to her injecting cooking oil into her own face to make it larger!
Pete Burns – Another surgery addict, Pete’s face looked incredibly swollen after surgery to try and fix a lip enlargement gone wrong!
Versace – Fashion star Donatella Versace had a variety of procedures turn out bad. Although the above photo doesn’t show it too well, she has had her share of bad nose jobs in addition to the bad lips!
Michael Jackson – How can we forget icon MJ? Where do I even start with him. One would forget that he looked normal once upon a time…..
The Catman – My final choice has to be the Catman. Dennis Avner has spent almost all his life trying to look like a Tiger. A combination of tattoos, implants, dentures and several implants have helped him get there. Akin to a Tiger, he is quite scary!
Perhaps some of the above examples are extreme, but I would still have Pryers Solicitors on speed dial in case anything went wrong if I ever went under the knife!