Shortly before I started writing this blog, I got married to the most beautiful and amazing girl in the world, my best friend and my soulmate – Mrs Scot As you all know by now, we live in the UK; but being the non-stereotypical couple that we are, we didn’t want to get married here! We wanted an idyllic beach wedding in a 5-star hotel, where an elephant delivers you flowers down the aisle. The one where you have your closest family and friends there and not the relatives that you have to make awkward small-talk with! The one where you have fireworks on the beach and dance in-and-out of the warmest water in the world….. The one where you close the night by setting off lanterns with your dreams written on them into the starry sky.
We did all of that. I’m serious. We had an elephant, we had our family and friends, we had fireworks, lanterns and a band. We had the best food we have ever tasted. We had some awesome flowers and we had 3 dedicated wedding planners. We had 2 professional photographers and a professional videographer for the whole night. And what’s more, this cost a LOT less than getting married here in the UK. A heck of a lot less.
I would recommend getting married abroad to anyone, it was the most amazing day of my life. What’s more is that nobody will ever forget our wedding because (although I say it myself) it was truly amazing. I have hundreds of photos that I would love to show you all (but OUCH that would blow my cover) that are simply out-of-this-world and furthermore, we had two weeks holiday with some of our favorite people in the world.
I am a big fan of simplicity. I like to keep things easy to understand and concise. I think the best way to share our experience with you all is to give you a brief (bullet) version of how we planned our wedding.
- I had been to Thailand before and told Mrs Scot about how wonderful it was. She trusted me and we agreed on our Location. Back in December 2010 we did a lot of research online. From Tripadvisor to hotel websites. We sifted through the riff-raff and established baseline pricing for each place. We watched countless videos and viewed thousands of photos. We picked out the top 3 venues. (by this time we already had our heart set on a place)
- We gave everyone notice immediately. We sent out ‘save the date’ cards almost a year in advance to give everyone enough warning of our (slightly crazy) plan and set up a wedding website for reference.
- Being the Engineer that I am, I made up a spreadsheet (got to love a cheeky spreadsheet) of costings – a different worksheet for each hotel. Through books that Mrs Scot was reading and other research; we established what we should buy in Thailand and what we should buy in the UK.
- The Dress (for obvious reasons) was a must, so Mrs Scot found her perfect dress in Edinburgh. This was flown out from the UK.
- We planned our summer vacation 2011 to Thailand so that we could schedule a trip to the short-listed hotels – we had pre-planned a meeting with the wedding planners at the hotels.
- We met with the wedding planners and took a tour of each place and reaffirmed our (already) chosen venue. They showed us videos of previous weddings, layouts, decorations, flowers, diagrams, plans, maps etc. etc.
- The rest was easy. Seriously. We had a team of 3 wedding planners as part of the package. We exchanged numerous emails on cake requirements, decorations, menus, flowers etc. They did everything for us and never got frustrated. We sent them pictures of what we wanted things to look like and they pulled it all off!
- We booked our flights and I remembered to turn up 😉
Some people would say we took a pretty big risk organising things remotely. I disagree. We met the team that had planned hundreds of other weddings and we trusted them. They took all the hassle and stress out of the experience. What’s more, we had an unforgettable two week vacation with some amazing people and had the best time of our lives. AND…. We haven’t been on honeymoon yet 😉 – Bring on June 2012 😀
I will leave you with a few photographs. If anyone is interested in the finances behind it all – Stay tuned.
Update – The Thailand Wedding Part 2 – The Finances – can be found HERE
NEWS THEME on the GENESIS FRAMEWORK