Have you subscribed to The SavvyScot?You can ensure that you never miss a post by entering your email address in the right hand column —>
Today’s guest post discusses some top packing tips for that all important honeymoon or special holiday. Interestingly, some of these points are very relevant to the thoughts I had after returning from my honeymoon in Roatan, Honduras. The point on wine cried out to me… I stupidly assumed that there would be a great selection of wines / beers and spirits… but I was very wrong! Even our welcome champagne was pretty disgusting!! The first point also matters a lot when it comes to honeymoon photography! Trust me, if you don’t get that one right you don’t make good impressions. The line I was packing light to save on baggage costs get’s you nowhere but the dog house – not where you want to be in paradise! 😛
In all of the rush and complication of planning a wedding, preparations for the honeymoon can sometimes fall by the wayside. Although you may at least have the flights and accommodation booked in advance, the actual packing and schedule preparation all seems less important before your wedding and consequently are often left to the last minute. There are a lot of things it can easily be forgotten and making a list before you even have your wedding can prevent future complications on your honeymoon. After all, this is supposed to be a vacation that allows you and your new spouse to relax completely once you are finally married – a trip of a lifetime! With that in mind, here are a few suggestions of things to remember bringing on your romantic getaway.
- Nice Clothes – Particularly if you and your spouse are destined for a tropical location for your honeymoon, it may be tempting to go casual. While this is great for days and nights on the beach or in beach settings, you will likely also want to have a couple of romantic nights out during your honeymoon. For this, make sure you don’t forget to pack a few nice outfits. In addition to fitting into date night settings, you will also want to look good for each other in your first vacation as a married couple! First Impressions Count!
- Wine – Chances are that whatever destination you choose for your honeymoon will have plenty of wine available. Or in my case not!! However, if you and your spouse have a favorite vintage, or if you want to pick up something particularly nice to surprise your spouse, it can’t hurt to swing by Marks & Spencer for a bottle or two before you leave. Nobody wants to go shopping during a honeymoon, either, so it can be nice to have some wine around the hotel room without having to go to a store. Furthermore, if wine is available on holiday it is often extortionately priced!
- Camera – During the lead up to your wedding – including the wedding itself – you will have what feels like (and may actually be) thousands of pictures taken of you. Chances are, you’ll be tired of photography by the time you take off for the honeymoon and a camera will be the last thing on your mind. Don’t let yourself forget your camera in this moment of madness – you will probably end up having to buy a new one along the way!
- Sunblock – Sunblock isn’t exciting, and it’s often on packing lists anyway, but when you are planning a romantic honeymoon, make it a priority. Nothing kills a romantic mood quite like a bad sunburn, which is why you should avoid such an issue at all costs! Sunblock can also be very expensive to buy at your destination – especially if you are going somewhere off the beaten track where locals don’t use any products.
- Travel Guide – Finally, you may also want to pack a travel guide. This might seem a bit too touristy for you, and you might be more inclined to wait until you’re on the ground to decide where to go and what to do. However, it never hurts to pack a guide just in case. A pocket book is a great backup if you are unable to connect to the internet or need some quick recommendations for places to eat. Who knows, it may even lead you to some great romantic destinations.