Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope you had a great weekend and start to your week. Unfortunately SavvyScot got hacked over the weekend and I spent most of Sunday reloading the site… from scratch! The only positive that I can take from the experience is that I learned a lot about SQL and very much realised the importance of backups! If you are a blogger / photographer / videographer or use a home computer in general – I highly recommend a backup! All 200-odd posts and five thousand comments belonging to this blog would have been gone forever had it not been for my emergency backup! Perhaps I will write a post later in the week with all the technical details of the restore. That way if any of you are unfortunate enough to lose a blog, you will have a decent reference (can you believe that a proper guide doesn’t exist?!?).
If you are interested in hearing about my blogging income, I am afraid you will have to signup to the exclusive club and join the monthly newsletter. If you sign up this week, you will be in time for February’s edition!
Advertisers continue to show a strong interest and I spend at least 45 minutes a day responding to emails. I mentioned in January’s edition of my newsletter that I would continue to write sponsored posts myself to prevent the ‘voice’ of the blog deviating. Nothing worse than reading another dull post about 5 reasons to take a payday loan. (note: I will never include a sponsored link to a payday loans site)!!
Blog Stats for January 2013:
Ignoring the disaster over the weekend things have been looking up recently:
- Average number of visit per day – 320
- Alexa Rank – Sitting at around 85K (I have been fluctuating through the 80s)
- Facebook Likes – 1257 – what can I say? I am awesome!
- Twitter Followers – 26.6k – What can I say… I’m mega-awesome!
- Feed Subscribers – 293
- Newsletter Subscribers – 90
Pauline over at Reach Financial Independence has set herself a new challenge to De-Clutter her Digital Life for February. I am pleased to announce that I will most definitely be taking part (it would be rude not to). While I reckon I am in quite good shape for most things, I could definitely do with paying social media accounts more attention. Sicorra’s awesome Blog Planner will definitely be put to good use!
What New Wit-You?
I continue to lead a very busy life. I am currently training for a Tough Mudder event in June:
Looks fun right? A half-marathon and a set of brutal obstacles! Why not right… At least it is something good to train towards. I might have also signed up for a second one in October – motivation to stay fit over the summer!
I also finished writing the book I am co-authoring with a bunch of other awesome PF bloggers… Can’t give too much away about it yet, but expect to see it smashing all the Kindle and Apple Store records soon 😉
2013 Goal Updates:
I set a bunch of different 2013 Goals back in December in various categories: Financial, Health Sport and Fitness, Relationship / Family and Other. Everything seems to be on track, with two already complete:
- Reduce Base Monthly Outgoings – I debated last week in the post ‘A Mobile Phone Dilemma‘ whether Mrs Scot and I should upgrade our phones or go with a Sim-Only deal. We decided against the new iPhone and stuck with Sim-Only. The result: £50 per month saving on phone fees – £600 a year (equivalent to £1000 gross salary on current tax bracket). Result!
- Continue Investing – Not really complete, but I invested another £1000 of SavvyScot earnings in the stock market in January (line 3 below). Valuation of total portfolio (started in November) is as follows:
Just want to take a minute to say thank you to all the people who visit SavvyScot – whether you are a die hard or an occasional reader – it is YOU that motivates me to write and keeps this blog alive! An even bigger thanks goes to all my blogger friends for continuing to support SavvyScot through social networks and consistent commenting – it is much appreciated and I will be sure to send some link love your way soon.